Saturday, March 27, 2010

Why I Don't Listen To NPR

I am always amazed to find that some people I know that listen to National Public Radio. Some of these people even identify themselves as conservatives and Republicans.
FTR, I do not listen to NPR. Maybe I should since whether I like it or not, some of my tax dollars go to support NPR.
But, here is a reason that I do not listen to NPR.
Why are they changing the language to describe those that support the current abortion laws and those that oppose them?
Well, here is directly from the above link:

On the air, we should use "abortion rights supporter(s)/advocate(s)" and "abortion rights opponent(s)" or derivations thereof (for example: "advocates of abortion rights"). It is acceptable to use the phrase "anti-abortion", but do not use the term "pro-abortion rights".

In the paragraph that precedes that, it claims that it is seeking neutral language wading into the abortion debate.
Part of why that is not possible is the fact they describe abortion as a "right".
To many of us that oppose abortion on demand, we do not see that having unfettered access to abortions as a "right".
Even the current terms I find a bit silly.
When describing a pro-abortion advocate as "pro-choice", it is not entirely an accurate term. The Obamawhore media can not bring itself to accurately identify these people as in fact being pro-abortion.
I would have to argue that there are three categories.
There are those that advocate for unfettered access to abortion. For any girl or woman, right up to the ninth month. There is no other way to describe these people as anything but pro-abortion.
Then there are those that at the very least want access to abortions heavily restricted. Yes, there are those that want abortion banned outright. Then there are those like myself that want to see heavy restrictions and banning most abortion. I would leave some room to determine if abortion is appropriate if the life of the mother is threatened or a rape is involved. In that sense, I think the accurate term is pro-life.
Then there are those people that truly find themselves in the middle of the two.
There are those who feel that the option of abortion should be available with restrictions. And those that really believe that a woman should have some kind of choice. All the options laid out for a woman to make the ultimate decision.
That is the true definition of what pro-choice means.
The reality is that the new NPR language is not in any sense neutral. The language implies that it is settled that abortion is a right and anyone opposed is against this right.
Language is important and NPR is not being neutral in any sense of the words it is using.
And it is one reason I exercise my choice and do not listen to NPR.

1 comment:

Phoenixism said...

I like some of the music shows!