Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Interesting Poll

This item on the U. S. News & World Report site caught my eye as it takes a Gallup poll and gives us the 10 most religious states and the 10 least religious states.
It is not all that surprising that all of the most religious states are in the South. And they are growing in population. And tend to be Republican leaning.
A surprising stat is that in the 10 least religious states, only four states fall below 50%. Meaning that in 46 states, religion's importance is 50% or more.
Considering the decline of Christianity in Europe, I think that this poll is interesting in showing that by and large, the United States continues to be a religious nation.
One can attribute that to the freedom of religion enshrined in the United States constitution. Most nations in the world have not had the kind of freedom of conscience that the United States has enshrined in law.
Thankfully, religion plays an important role in most American lives on a daily basis.

2 comments:

christian soldier said...

Most of the Founders were Bible believing Christians-
I enjoyed reading your posts...good site :-)
C-CS

betty said...

interesting way they phrased the question; honestly I would have answered it "no". I'm not religious; to me that means rules/regulations; I prefer to call myself a Christ follower so I would have said "faith" means a lot more to me than religion, and that faith in the One True God; interesting though

betty