Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Good To Be Back

I had a pretty good Memorial Day weekend up in the heart of Blue America-San Francisco. I hope that you did too.
I will say that while San Francisco is very liberal and quirky, it has a certain undescribable charm that draws someone like myself to go there and observe. One is not disapointed by the fact one will see a homeless person in the downtown area almost everywhere that one looks. Or that there are so many different subcultures that it would take a very long entry to go into such detail.
But, everyone should go there. There is really something for anyone, even a conservative such as myself. I for one took in a Giants baseball game at AT&T Park. The Giants were playing the Colorado Rockies. Barry Bonds did not hit a home run, which is good since he will earn the title of home run king in the most dishonest of ways pumping up his body with baseball illegal steroids. The Giants lost, of course, and that is music to this Dodger fan's ear. But I will say that I really like AT&T Park. It is like an old style baseball park with non-symmetrical dimensions and a lot of charm. No World Series championship, but lots of charm.
The next day, Mrs. rightviewfromtheleftcoast and I went to church at Grace Cathedral. For all you Episcopalians in the Los Angeles area, take note. Grace Cathedral is what a cathedral should be-not the monstrosity that calls itself a "Cathedral Center." It was a great service and not overly politically correct, considering that the Diocese of California is one of the most liberal Episcopal dioceses in the United States.
After church we went to Golden Gate Park which has to be the Central Park West. It is a real achievement to have what they have there. And, we only scratched the surface in what we saw.
I would say, no matter how conservative you are, go to San Francisco sometime. Maybe some of that conservatism can rub off on them. . .NOT!
Anyway, there is so much to blog about and I am glad to be back.

No comments: