Saturday, November 07, 2009

"Green" Student Prom, Take Two

A post that I wrote in August about a local Pasadena high school working on a "green" student prom has touched some nerves. In fact, one of those quoted in the article seemed particularly peeved at what I wrote.
Now normally, I do not like to give commenter's the time of day in a post. But, Veronica Ota seems to have some hostility issues.
Firstly, if Miss Ota actually read what I wrote, I have no hostility towards the highlighted prom organizer, Josephine Kinney. I really believe that what she is doing is for the right reason in her mind. I just do not agree with it. Since Miss Kinney and her idea were featured in the article, her ideals are fair game. Not Miss Kinney. And, Miss Ota, you actually prove my point that you write the following:

"As we sit through our science classes that often remind us of the threats of exploiting the earth's resources, we realize that this is a problem we contribute to unconsciously."

And who, Miss Ota, are those "teaching" this is science classes? Teachers. Teachers that believe in a theory, Global Warming now called Climate Change.
If you read the post, I do not have any problem with highlighting real things that do contribute to a better world. We should not litter. We should not dispose of motor oil and the like down storm drains. There are many things that I can cite. Maybe I did not do enough of that in the post.
But, Miss Ota, you have to understand that I was once a student too. I know when propaganda is disguised as teaching. And science has been hijacked by a lot of propagandists. To balance what you are being "taught" in science class, here are some things you might want to read about Global Warming, aka now, Climate Change.
One book that I would recommend is The Politically Incorrect Guide To Global Warming. All I would ask is that you read it with an open mind. If it does not change your mind, fine. But you are exposing yourself to the other side. A different argument.
Now, Miss Ota, referring to those of us opposed to the Global Warming agenda as a--holes is not a way to make your point. You have a right to be insulted by Naamaste's comment. Fine. I actually am STILL idealistic. Maybe not in what you are idealistic about, but none the less, I think most people still have that spark in them.
And as far as criticizing Al Gore, please read some older posts. It is because of the hysteria of Al Gore many people believe in the theory of Global Warming, aka now Climate Change, with out any thought.
The fact that you care and are passionate, Miss Ota, is a good thing. Same for Miss Kinney. But, I just think that what you believe and are passionate about is not a good thing. And it is fed by an irrational hysteria.
And, I am all for having a civil dialogue on this topic, if you or any of your friends want to.
However, I have not changed my mind about the dangers of this kind of thinking especially among our youth. Who are taught and led by overly hysterical adults.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're just unhappy that she ate your rhetorical lunch, and made you -- and most of the other commentators -- appear irrational and angry.

I am a conservative. I do not feel that God gave us the resources we have to abuse, squander, loot or pillage. You seem to feel differently.

Doing a prom so that it is not the completely obnoxious orgy of conspicious consumption that it has come to be many places is laudible. My grandfather, and father -- who both attended PUSD high schools -- borrowed decorations for the prom and held it locally. They weren't green, just common-sensical.

Not sure when "conservative" took on the meaning of "grab all you can and devil take the hindmost."

What is really rather pathetic is that -- self-branded as ignorant of the appeal of a prom, and obviously long out of high school -- you find it important to tell current high schoolers what they should enjoy at THEIR prom.