Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday And The Beginning Of Lent



Today, for those of us who are Christians, is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of lent.

It is the day in the Christian church year that we are reminded of our humanity and mortality. In the Episcopal church service, when one goes to the pastor to have the ashes imposed on his or her forehead, the pastor utters these words:

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

Before that, the pastor will say this prayer.

Almighty God, You have create us out of the dust of the earth: Grant that these ashes may be to us a sigh of our mortality and penitence, that we may remember that it is only by your gracious gift that we are given everlasting life; through Jesus Christ our Saviour. Amen

It is one of the mysteries of the Christian faith yet a poignant reminder that we need to remember at all times what we are: mere mortals.

For the next 40 days, Christians are asked to sacrifice and or recommit themselves to serve God. Many will give up something that they really love, like chocolate, as a spiritual discipline. Others will commit themselves to reading the Holy Bible with renewed commitment. Some will do both.

For me, I have decided that I will not eat meat on Friday. And fast completely on Good Friday. Also, I will commit to reading the spiritual devotional, Day By Day, put out by the Forward Movement of the Episcopal Church.

Many think of Lent as a bad thing. All about giving up.

I think of Lent as a time for renewal and giving more to God.

What do you think of Lent? What will you do to keep a good Lent? And, if you have never thought about what Lent means, would you think more about it and commit yourselves to get closer to God?

Remember that we are dust, and to dust we shall return.

3 comments:

robert verdi said...

Its a great time to reflect on what we all share.

Rightwingsnarkle said...

Hmmm, I was wondering why some folks were walking around yesterday with schmutz on their faces.

That's some silly voodoo, but to each his own, I guess.

I'm gonna sacrifice a chicken.

Rick Frea said...

Oops, I forgot it was lent and ate spaghetti today -- twice. I usually try to add something to my life instead of giving something up. A pries recommended that to me once. I try in some way to become a better person.