Well, the Presbyterians have taken some heat off the Episcopal Church for at their recent national confab, they came up with 12 new ways to say the Trinitarian blessing, Father, Son and Holy Ghost(Spirit).Of course the reason for this is because that all implies that God is a male figure and it might "offend" some people. Most people I know that are literate in the Holy Bible and the times that it was comprised understand that it has nothing to do with male or female. All are one with Christ, male and female, free and slave, bonded and unbonded, and so on, and so on.
So, what are the 12 new variations of the trinity? Here we go:
- Compassionate Mother, Beloved Child and Life-giving Womb
- Giver, Gift and Giving
- Rainbow of Promise, Ark of Salvation and Dove of Peace
- Lover, Beloved and the Love and Bind Together Lover and Beloved
- Overflowing Font, Living Water, Flowing River
- One From Whom, the One Through Whom and the One in Whom We Offer Out Praise
- Rock, Cornerstone and Temple
- Fire That Consumes, Sword That Divides and Storm That Melts Mountains
- Creator, Savior, Sanctifier
- Rock, Redeemer, Friend
- King of Glory, Prince of Peace, Spirit of Love
- One Who Was, the One Who Is and the One Who Is To Come
WOW! Where does one begin?
The fact is that one, maybe two actually refer in any way to Father, Son and Holy Ghost(Spirit). The rest is socialist gobbly-gook. One of my favorites is Rock, Redeemer, Friend. To bad it has nothing to do with God.
But, you have the hand it to the socialists that have seized the Presbyterians church. There is spin.
In an article in the Los Angeles Times (www.latimes.com) the Rev. Rebecca Button Prichard said, "What people are afraid is that they think we are taking "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" away from them." Do you think?! The Rev. Prichard went on, "We're not. What we want to say is that no word can fully describe God." Then why not just say Yahweh as the ancient Jews did?
I have a good, non offensive way to say the trinity if one must. Try this one: God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. It is biblical, and takes out the bad patriarchal language and does not stagger into the nonsense the Presbyterians want to engage in.
If the Presbyterians, Episcopalians and other mainline churches wonder why they keep losing members and not gaining, this is one of the many reasons why. The purpose of the church is not to promote a socialist or conservative or other agenda. It is to equip the believers to take the Gospel to those who have not heard the Word of salvation in the Holy Bible. It is to promote God, through belief in Jesus Christ and with the grace of the Holy Spirit. Or Giver, Gift and Giving!