Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Waste Of Television Time

UPDATE:
Like a broken clock is right at least twice a day, the Academy can get something right once in a while. For anyone who cares, The King's Speech won for Best Picture. And while I still find these awards shows a waste of time, this movie deserved to win.

I believe that there some show on television right now called the Academy Awards. I think that this is the 83rd annual movie lovefest.
I find the whole thing an absolute waste of television time.
However, for some inexplicable reason, the television powers over at ABC keep this charade up. It is treated like the Super Bowl. Yet year after year, less and less people watch.
I wonder why?
Could it be that the great unwashed masses are tired of watching the most self-indulgent people slap each other on the back? Could it be that many of us unwashed masses are tired of watching the most hypocritical people make insipid comments about current events? Could it be that people just have something better to do on the last Sunday evening in February?
I think that it is all of the above.
I write that I find all awards shows to be a bore. Do not care what kind that they are. It is just how people say how wonderful someone else is when under their breath they are wondering why they did not an award. And by and large, the people that watch have no say in the show they are watching.
In the case of the Academy Awards, it is roughly the 5,800 members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences that choose the winners of said nominated motion pictures. And the majority of those are, surprise, actors and actresses. Like I wrote, people slapping each other on the back.
And in many an awards presentation, said winner uses the time allotted for thank yous to make some political statement. Usually to slam conservatives and or conservative people. Many of whom pay to see the said movies, actors and actresses. When I hear an actor and or actress using their moment in the sun to blast a liberal or liberal people, I will have died and gone to the glory.
But I also think that people just have better things to do than waste time watching these festivals of self-indulgent bacchanalia.
I know that I have not watched an Academy Awards show in any real stretch of time in the last 15 years.
But I have not watched any awards show.
Again, I just do not see the point.
If we the people do not have some say in who wins, why should I care what some people think of each other?
I should be a fan of the People's Choice award. Yet even there, I am not.
I just do not seem to get all excited about this kind of stuff.
And as I get older, the less I find this all that important.
But I find that this is a real waste of television time. This Academy Awards.
When is the first baseball game of the 2011 season?

No comments: